Got a chance to use a friend’s PSVita, which he had gotten for review. After spending about five minutes with it, here are my first impressions.
- It’s pretty massive. I make fun of large phones all the time but the Vita makes even the Galaxy Note look like Danny DeVito in comparison. It won’t fit into any pocket I own (even after all the space that will be created after I spend on it). You will need to carry around a bag for it. Having said that, for something this big, it’s pretty light.
- The display is gorgeous. Makes everything look great.
- Extremely fluid UI that looks like it was designed by a six-year old.
- Games look great but like its bigger console counterpart there are plenty of jagged edges due to a lack of anti-aliasing. I hate that shit on mobile phones but on the Vita’s larger display it becomes even more apparent.
- The joysticks are really good, despite their short travel. The rest of the buttons are pretty good too.
- The device operation isn’t very straightforward and self-explanatory. E.g., when I took the device in hand it was already running a game so it took me a while to figure out which button to press to go to the home screen.
- Didn’t get a chance to use the touchpad at the back or the cameras. In fact I completely forgot they existed when I was using the device.
- Videos look pretty awesome on the display but the format support is abysmal.
Overall, I’d say it was pretty good but it wasn’t something that I felt I must have when I used it for the first time. I think I’ll stick to the PC/console for serious gaming and the smartphone for casual gaming. The PSVita, like the PSP before it, reminds me of the Galaxy Note, wherein it tries to bring the best of both worlds into one device without being particularly successful at either. The games are obviously not as good as on the PC or console, even though they cost as much and it is not as portable as a smartphone. The 3-5 hour battery life isn’t particularly great either.
I’d like to spend more time with it but unless the prices of the console and the games drop I don’t see myself purchasing it or even recommending it to anyone else.